Your content strategy is not only the words and pictures on your site, but also the way you structure your website as a whole.
What is Content Strategy?
Plain and simple, content strategy is the way your nonprofit tells its story.
But it involves a few key things:
Making Content Easy to Find
Your website should be structured in a way that makes information easy to find. Visitors don’t like hunting for whatever it is they’re seeking.
Connecting with Website Visitors
Strong content that appeals to your visitors will get them invested in your organization. Once you’ve established a connection, it’s much more likely a visitor will get involved with your nonprofit in some capacity.
Compelling Visitors to Take Action
The point of your content is to compel your visitors to take some sort of action on your website. Whether that’s making a donation, signing up to volunteer or downloading a report you’ve prepared, your content plays a key role in getting them to act.
Content Strategy Considerations
When developing a content strategy, there are a lot of things to consider, including:
- How do you explain what it is you do in a succinct way?
- What are the key messages you want to make sure every visitor hears?
- What pages should you include on your website and how should they be organized?
- What other media (such as videos, photos or audio) can help tell your story?
- What info is distracting visitors from finding what they’re looking for?
- How can you optimize your content for both visitors and search engines?
What We Offer
We’re happy to be involved in a variety of ways as you work to build out your nonprofit’s content strategy. We generally get involved in the following ways:
- Website Structure Development – Making sure you have the right pages and page titles, your content is easy to find and your navigation is intuitive for your website visitors
- Content Editing – You write the content, but we look it over, make suggestions and edit it to appeal to both website visitors and search engines
- Content Writing – We write the content for your website based on interviews with you and your ongoing input
Content Strategy Articles
We write a lot about how nonprofits can tell their stories in a more compelling way. Here are a few of our posts: