The standard Airy footer includes three columns of content, including a description of your organization and logo, navigation items and a newsletter sign up section. You can see an example from our demo site below.
In a WordPress website like yours, widgets are small blocks of content you can add to your footer. For example, you can add custom content to your footer with a Text widget, Image widget or Recent Posts widget without needing to deal with complicated code.
Edit the Footer
- First, log in to the back end of your website.
- Hover over the Appearance section of the admin menu on the left and click “Customize”.
- Once you’re in the Customizer, click on the “Widgets” option from the menu and browse through the “Footer Widgets” to find the elements you wish to change. You’ll notice that each of the three columns corresponds with the left, center, and right footer widget options in the menu.
- To adjust a column, click on the respective column title (left, center or right) within the menu to see which widgets are displaying in that column.
- From there, you can select the widget you’d like to update and adjust the content, reorder the widget or remove the widget altogether by clicking the corresponding links.
- To edit the left-hand column, for instance, click on “Footer Widgets Left”. In the example below, you can see that the “Visual Editor” widget is the active widget in this column, and is controlling the description text that appears on the left side of the footer. You can then use the editor that pops up to adjust the information that appears within this column.
- Be sure to click the blue “Publish” button to save your changes before exiting out.
Add a Widget
It’s important to be mindful about what final information you include in your footer. We recommend that you include an easy way for users to get around your site (typically a reminder of the primary navigation), as well as a high level explanation of your organization and a high priority call to action like signing up for your e-newsletter or driving supporters to donate.
To add a widget, follow these simple steps below:
- Once logged in, go to Appearance > Customize.
- In the menu, choose Widgets.
- From there, you’ll have the choice to add a widget to Footer Widgets Left, Footer Widgets Center or Footer Widgets Right.
- Once you’ve chosen where in the footer you want to add the widget, you have the option to edit an existing widget or add a new widget. Click the Add a Widget button to see a list of the available widget options.
- Select the appropriate widget, which will add it to the left side under any existing widgets.
- Adjust the settings of the widget as needed.
- Click the Done button to save your updates.
- You can rearrange the widgets by dragging or dropping them into place or by clicking Reorder and using the arrows.
- You can also remove the widget altogether by clicking “Delete” at the bottom of the widget settings.
- When you’re finished making changes, click the blue Publish button to push your changes live.
Remember that anything you add or remove from the footer will be applied to every page on your website.
Update Social Media Icons in the Airy Footer
Learn how to update the social media links in this support article.
Still Have Questions?
Reach out to us within your Dashboard. Log into your website and then fill out the Website Support form. You’ll hear back from one of Wired Impact’s team members within one business day.