The website header is the space at the very top of every page on your website. It usually holds the main navigation as well as the secondary navigation. Headers provide users with the ability to easily access every page on the site. Additionally, headers store important information that you want prominently displayed throughout the site such as a “Donate” button or social media icons that will link directly to your social media profiles.
Update the Social Media Links in a Pioneer Header
Having your social media accounts linked on your site allows users to quickly find your organization’s social profiles to further engage with you and your cause. To make sure this is easily accessible, it’s a great idea to add your social media icons to the header of your website.
- First, log in to the back end of your site
- Hover your mouse over the Appearance section on the left-hand navigation and click “Customize”
- Once you’re in the customizer, click the “Menus” option and select “Social Links”
- From there you can add, remove or re-order your social media icons
Add a Social Media Icon
If you have a new social media profile, you’ll want to make sure it gets added to your site. Below are the simple steps on how you can do this.
- Click “+ Add Items”
- Click the down arrow to the right of the “Custom Links” section to add the URL of your social media profile as well as the name of the social media outlet in the field labeled “Link Text”
- Click the “Add to Menu” button to add the icon to the social links menu. Below is an example of how your social media icons will appear on the front end of your site.
- Once you’ve added the new social icon to the menu, we suggest setting your social media profile to open in a new tab. Click the down arrow next to the “Custom Link” text to the right of each social media menu item and check the “Open link in a new tab” box.
- To reorder the social media links, click the “Reorder” button and click the up or down arrows to reorder the links. Once you’re finished, click “Done”.
Remove a Social Media Link
Sometimes you decide to shut down a social media account. If that happens, you’ll want to make sure that you remove it from your site to avoid confusion.
- Click the down arrow to the right of the social media icon you wish to remove within the Social Media Links menu and select “Remove”
Preview and Publish
Once you’ve finished making the changes to your social media in the header, make sure that you preview how the changes will look on multiple devices.
- Click the computer, tablet or phone icons at the bottom of the customizer to preview the responsiveness of the different devices
- If all looks good, you’ll want to publish the changes. Click the blue “Publish” button in the upper right-hand corner of the customizer sidebar to make your updates live!
Still Have Questions?
Reach out to us within your Dashboard. Log into your website and then fill out the Website Support form. You’ll hear back from one of Wired Impact’s team members within one business day.