Adding a header image to a page is a great way to add personality and build an emotional connection with your visitors. In the article below, we’ll start out with some common questions we hear from our clients related to header images and then show you how to add a header image to your page.
Frequently Asked Questions About Header Images
Below are a few of the most common questions we get asked about header images.
Where can I find high quality images to use?
It can be great to use photos that you’ve taken at events or of your community, but sometimes you don’t have the right image and can’t easily go shoot one. That’s why we provide access to Envato Elements to all of our platform clients at no additional charge.
Browse their repository to find the perfect image. Once you’ve found it, send us the link and we’ll download it for you to use on your website.
If you want tips on choosing the perfect image as well as some additional options on where to find stock photos, you can read our blog post “Choosing Stock Photography That Isn’t Cheesy”.
Do I need to crop my image before uploading it to the website or can I upload a bigger image?
We’d strongly recommend you crop the image to be the correct size before uploading it to your site. This can help with performance and ensure your site loads as quickly as possible. For more on how to resize your photos, check out our blog post “How to Format Photos for Your Nonprofit Website With Canva”.
How do I know what size to crop my header images?
This is a little different for each theme. But you can actually find the image size directly within the backend of your website. Once you’re logged into the page you’d like to add a header image to, scroll down to the “Featured Image” box in the right sidebar. You should see a message that says the ideal dimensions for your header image on that particular page.
I’m not seeing the “Featured Image” box in the right sidebar. What am I doing wrong?
First off, try scrolling down the page as far as you can. Sometimes there are additional widgets in the right sidebar and the “Featured Image” box gets bumped further down than you’d expect.
If that doesn’t do the trick, this box is probably hidden and needs to be turned back on. To do so, follow these steps:
(1) Scroll all the way up the page and click the “Screen Options” dropdown in the upper right of the page editor.
(2) Make sure the checkbox beside “Featured Image” is checked.
Once that’s checked, the Featured Image box should show back up.
How to Add a Header Image to a Page
Once you have an image ready to upload to your site, doing so is pretty easy. (If you haven’t selected an image to upload or haven’t cropped it to the appropriate size for your site, see the Frequently Asked Questions section above.)
Once you’re logged into the website, navigate to the page you’d like to add the header image to. After that, do the following:
1. Scroll down until you locate the “Featured Image” box in the right sidebar (shown below).
2. Click the “Set featured image” link in that box.
3. Click the “Upload Files” link in the upper left of the screen that opens.
4. Either drop your file into this window or click the “Select Files” button.
5. Once the file has uploaded to the website, give it a short and descriptive Title. Enter a short description of the image in the Alt Text field as well.
6. Click the blue “Set featured image” button.
7. You should now see a thumbnail of your image in the “Featured Image” box in the right sidebar.
8. Click the “Preview Changes” button at the top of the right sidebar to ensure you like the look of it.
9. If you’re ready to publish your changes to the live website, click the blue “Update” button in the right sidebar.
That’s it! When you reload your page, you should see your updated header image at the top of the page.
Still Have Questions?
If you’re still having trouble with header images, just log into your website and fill out the Website Support form. You’ll hear back from someone on Wired Impact’s team within one business day.