Each Wired Impact theme has the ability to add social media links and icons to various parts of the site. Having your social media accounts linked on your site allows users to quickly find your organization’s social profiles to further engage with you and your cause. To make sure this is easily accessible, it’s a great idea to add your social media icons to consistent locations on your website.
Scholar, Airy and Chroma themes display social media links and icons in the footer at the bottom of the site, while the Pioneer theme displays them in the header at the top of the site. For example, this screenshot shows the social media icons and links in the footer of a Scholar website.
Update Social Media Icons and Links
While the icons and links may have different looks on the front-end based on your theme, the process for updating these icons in the back-end of your website is the same. To update to social media accounts linked on your website, you’ll need to first login to the back-end of your website.
- From the Dashboard, hover over Appearance in the admin menu and select “Menus”.
- In the “Select a menu to edit” dropdown at the top of the page, choose the “Social Links” menu option and click “Select”.
- From here, you can click on your current social media links to adjust the URL or linked text. Don’t forget to click “Save Menu” once you’ve finished making changes.
Add a Social Media Icon
If you have a new social media profile, you’ll want to make sure it gets added to your site. Below are the simple steps on how you can do this.
- Under the “Add menu items” options, click “Custom Links”.
- Enter the URL of your social media page into the URL field.
- You can add the name of the social media site into the “Link Text” field
- Click the “Add to Menu” button.
- The icon itself will automatically appear depending on the channel that you note in the fields.
- To reorder the social media links, drag and drop each custom link into the order that you prefer. Once you’re finished, click “Save Menu” in the top right.
Remove a Social Media Link
Sometimes you decide to shut down a social media account. If that happens, you’ll want to make sure that you remove it from your site to avoid confusion.
- Click the down arrow to the right of the social media site you wish to remove and select “Remove”.
- Don’t forget to “Save Menu” in the top right to publish your update.
Add the Social Media Sidebar Widget to a Page
Pioneer and Scholar themes can also pull these social media links into a special sidebar widget option called the Social Media Links Widget. You can add this widget to any internal page with a sidebar on your site. Learn how to add this widget and update the sidebar of your website in this support article.
You can see an example of how the Social Media Links Widget looks in the sidebar of the Scholar theme below.
Still Have Questions?
Reach out to us within your Dashboard. Log into your website and then fill out the Website Support form. You’ll hear back from one of Wired Impact’s team members within one business day.