We understand that keeping track of all your passwords is no easy task and that you’ll want to restore your access as soon as possible. In this article, we’ll show you how to update your password for security purposes or personal preference while also outlining the steps of how to reset your password if you forgot it altogether.
How to Change Your Existing Password
You may not have forgotten your password, but it’s a good idea to periodically change it for security purposes. Follow these steps to update your password for your website.
- From the dashboard in the back end of your website, Go to Users in the admin menu on the left side of the screen and select “Your Profile”.
- Within the Account Management section, click “Generate Password”.
- You can adjust the automatically generated password at this point, if you’d like. We recommend a password that includes a mixture of letters, numbers and characters for security.
- Click the “Update Profile” button at the bottom of the page to save your changes.
How to Create a New Password if You Forgot Yours
So you can’t seem to remember your password. Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us. Follow these simple steps to learn how to create a new password.
Go to your website’s log-in page
In your browser, type in your website’s URL. At the end of your URL, add /wp-admin. It should look something like www.nonprofit.org/wp-admin.
Click the “Lost your password?” option
- Once you are on your website’s log-in page, click on the “Lost your password?” option at the bottom of the page.
- Enter the username or email address that you used to create your profile.
- Click the “Get New Password” button.
Click the email confirmation link
- Check the inbox of the email address that you provided. If you provided a username, then check the email account that is associated with that username.
- You should receive an email from WordPress with a confirmation link to reset your password.
- Click on the link to set a new password.
Reset your password
- Enter a new password or use the suggested password.
- Make sure that you have a good password strength, as indicated by a “strong” or “weak” box that appears below your password as you type.
- Click the “Reset Password” button.
Log in with your new password
Once you click the “Reset Password” button in the previous step, you will be sent to the WordPress log-in page again. Log into your site with your new password.
Still Have Questions?
The quickest way to get support is to reach out to us within your website’s admin dashboard. Log into your website and then fill out the Website Support form. You’ll hear back from us within one business day.