Adding guest blog posts to your site is a great way to increase traffic and connect to other organizations, among other marketing benefits. When publishing a guest blog post, it’s especially important to give credit to the author of the post. Follow the steps below on how to add a guest author to a blog post.
For a refresher on how to publish a new blog post, visit this article.
In the following article, we outline how to add a guest author to a blog post by creating a new user on your website. If you do not want to go through the steps of creating a new user, you can manually include an author biography at the start or end of your post content.
Add a Guest Author by Creating a New User
Create a New User
In order to add an author to a blog post on your website, you must create a new user first. To create a new user, log in to the backend of your website. On the left sidebar, hover over the “Users” tab and click the “Add New” drop-down.
Customize User Information
On the Add New page, you will see two options. The top option is to add an existing user. The bottom option is to add a new user. We are going to use the bottom option: add a new user.
When adding a guest author as a new user, make sure you fill out the new user fields with the correct information.
- Enter a username for the guest author. We recommend the first initial of their first name followed by their last name (no spaces).
- Enter the guest author’s email address.
Select a Role for Your New User
Author Role: When adding a guest author as a new user, we recommend adding them as an “Author” in the role section. Someone designated as an author can write and manage their own posts.
Contributor Role: If you would like to limit your guest author’s ability to publish/edit their post, choosing the “Contributor” role allows them to be listed as an author of the post but does not allow them to create/edit content in the post editor. If you choose the contributor role, you (the admin) will have to enter and edit all of the content in the post yourself.
It’s important to note that a user designated as a “Subscriber” cannot be added as an author to a post. Read more about the roles and capabilities of users.
Click “Add New User”
Once you have filled in all of the appropriate information. Click the blue Add New User button to finish.
Update User Information
Now that you have added your guest author as a new user, fill in additional information in the user settings about the author.
Edit New User Settings
- Go to Users in the left sidebar.
- Click the Edit button next to the user you want to update.
Update Name Settings
- Enter the first and last name of the guest author.
- Enter a nickname (required).
- Choose an option for how you want the guest author’s name to be displayed.
Update Contact Info
Update any relevant contact information of the guest author. You can leave this blank for now and have the guest author log in and update this information once they have access to their account.
Add Author Biography
- Add a short biography in the new user’s profile. We suggest adding a sentence that identifies this person as a guest author, like in the example below. In the Airy theme, this bio will show up next to the author’s name in the blog post.
- Website admins cannot upload a photo for another user. The guest author can upload a profile picture themselves through Gravatar once they log in to their new user account.
Generate a new password
- Under the Account Management section, click the “Generate Password” button. WordPress will automate a secure password. Copy this password.
- Send an email to the guest author with a link to the WordPress sign in page. Send them their username and password from step 1.
Once they have this information, they can log in to their account and create a new password. They can also update their profile picture and any other general information. To make these changes, the user can log in and click on their name in the upper right-hand corner. Then they can select the “Edit My Profile” drop-down.
Update the User
Once all of the user information is updated, the guest author will be able to login to their account and update any of their information.
Select Guest Author Name in Blog Post
Now that you have created a new user account for your guest author, you can select them as an author for a blog post.
- Within the Document Settings on the right side of the screen, select an author from the dropdown menu.
- Click the blue “Update” button when done.
Note that a user given the “author” role will only be able to see and edit posts that they have authored. They will not have access to other posts.
How will the guest author’s name appear?
The appearance of your guest author information depends on what platform theme you use.
Below is how an author’s name will appear on the Charity+ theme: right underneath the featured image. You can click on the author’s name and the site will take you to a page that displays any other blog posts from this author. Charity+ does not display the author’s bio or profile picture in the blog post.
When using the Airy theme, the author’s name and bio appear underneath the blog content and above the comments section. The author’s profile picture will appear to the left of their name.
When using the Pioneer theme, there is no author display on blog posts. To add a guest author, manually include an author biography at the start or end of your post content, as we mentioned at the beginning of this article.
Still Have Questions?
Reach out to us within your Dashboard. Log into your website and then fill out the Website Support form. You’ll hear back from one of Wired Impact’s team members within one business day.