Your website is mostly made up of pages, so you need to know how to create new ones! Visitors rely on your pages to learn more about your organization and all the good you’re doing. In this article, we’ll show you how to create new pages that are well thought out and customized to fit your needs. Click on each image below to see a larger version with additional details.
If you’d like additional tips on building out great content, head on over to our Essential Web Page Content for Nonprofits guide.
- The featured image is the main photo associated with the post or page. It displays as the header image at the top of a page.
- The sidebar is an area of a page that is for displaying information that is not part of the main content. The sidebar is usually a vertical column on the right side of the page.
- A page template is used to control the layout of the content and functionality on the page. For example, a page template may or may not include a sidebar area.
- A meta description is a brief summary of a page’s content that may be displayed in search results so users know what the page is about.
How Do I Add a New Page?
Once you’ve logged in and are on your site’s Dashboard, the easiest way to create a new page is to hover over the “Pages” item on the left-hand side and click “Add New”.
Customizing a New Page
Once you’ve added a new page, you’ll want to build it out by adding content and adjusting any page settings as needed, such as the page template it uses.
(1) To start, make sure your page has a title.
(2) Next, add the page content into the content editor. If you are copying and pasting content from an outside source like Microsoft Word, be sure to select the “Paste as Plain Text” button from the toolbar before you paste in your content. For other helpful information about formatting content, check out our Formatting Text on a Page or Post article.
(3) If you want the page to have a header image, set the Featured Image. The Featured Image option can be found on the right side of the page.
(4) Each new page uses the default template. You can change the template as needed. For example, you might want the page to display Blog Posts or Events. Choose the corresponding template on the right side of the page under the “Page Attributes” section.
(4) You can decide if you want the page to have a sidebar, or if you want the content to span the full width of the page and not show a sidebar. For the Airy and Charity+ themes, there is a “Sidebar Position” option for controlling this. The default is set to show a sidebar. If you want the content to span the full width of the page and not show a sidebar, simply click the icon that doesn’t show a sidebar. You can find this option on the right side of the page under the “Sidebar” section.
(5) You’ll probably want your new page to live in a specific location on your site. If it should live under another page that’s already been published, set the Page Parent option. The Page Parent option can be found on the right side of the page under the Page Attributes section. For example, a new page about your mission would likely have “About Us” as a parent page.
(6) Finally, adjust the meta description to summarize the page content. Go to the Yoast SEO section below your content and click on “Edit Snippet” to customize the snippet. If you’d like more information about meta descriptions and tips on writing them, take a look at our article about meta description best practices.
Publishing a Page
Once you’ve added your content, adjusted the meta description and selected your settings, click the Publish button to add the new page to your website. The page will not be live or publicly accessible until it is published.
Still Have Questions?
Reach out to us within your Dashboard. Log into your website and then fill out the Website Support form. You’ll hear back from one of Wired Impact’s team members within one business day.